Already own a Dana Dolly? See how easy it is to add an eMotimo spectrum ST4 motion control system to your kit.
1) Start with the Controller – spectrum ST4
The eMotimo spectrum ST4 is a 4-axis motion controller that enables you to precisely move and control your camera movement. It was designed to handle 15lb cinema RED cameras, professional DSLR’s and everything in between. It is strong, it is precise and it is fun to use. Pan and Tilt is built in, but you expand eMotimo spectrum by plugging in motors to the M3 and M4 Ports on the side of the spectrum ST4. With the Dana Dolly configuration the third axis of control is the slide and the fourth axis is our Fz (focus) motor.
2) add the Dana Dolly
The Dana Dolly is the leader in speed rail solutions. Many describe the Dana Dolly as the “Kleenex” of dollies. It seems like everywhere you turn, there’s a Dana Dolly on set. They have an outstanding reputation built from years of producing a rock solid products at fair and affordable prices.
Dana Dollys just work, and keep giving great results. eMotimo is proud to have the opportunity to partner with Dana Dolly to help their customers do new things.
Almost any Dana Dolly configuration will work:
- Original track ends
- Universal track ends
- stand mounted, or on apple boxes.
- Underslung, or regular setup.
- Speed Rail, or New Track
- ****Hi Hat is not yet supported, but we are working on it!
We have worked hard to make our integration kit as universal as possible . . .speaking of that integration kit . .
3) add the Integration Kit
Motorizing the Dana Dolly required a custom built motor kit. Taking our queue from Dana Dolly, we kept the build as simple as possible. It is simple, consisting of only 3 parts:
- One Motor Module that mounts to the carriage.
- Two Belt Ends – that lock down a timing belt to the Track Ends
- Timing Belt
ST4 + Dana Dolly+ Integration Kit = 4 axis Motion Control System for:
- Automated Interviews that are setup faster and more accurately than any other system. In the coming weeks we will show you how to do simple and complex shots that extend your creative boundaries.
- Tabletop and Product work. Fine robotic controlled shots with precision and repeatability. This can help make mundane tasks manageable, or enable you to push your creativity further.
- Timelape – eMotimo’s heritage is SMS timelapse shooting with robotic motion. Set up a simple shot, or complex Panning, Tilting, Sliding, Focusing shot that runs from seconds to days. Trigger your DSLR or undercrank your cinema camera for a unique look that will always matched to your primary footage.
- VFX – repeatable passes are easy. After every programmed video or timelapse shot, you can choose to repeat, or reverse your shot, or retime your shot. Gone are the days of expensive rentals and specialized crews for basic VFX.
The perfect tool for any interview
1) Centered subject: 2-axis target parallax tracking
Spectrum ST4 is great for those bread and butter quick 2 axis tracking interview shots. Great for slow and quick moves. Set spectrum on ping pong mode and let is continuously loop, while you can move on to other tasks.
2) Centered subject: 3-axis target tracking with focus
As a 4-axis controller, spectrum ST4 is can pull focus as well, for those premium shallow depth of field interview shots. You’ll need this capability to keep your target sharp.
Products without focus tracking:
3) The off-center interview
Get a slight push and pull feel depending on how far off center you go.
4) The push/pull interview
Add more dramatic effects or build suspense, all while keeping your subject sharp.
Repeatable and accurate
What’s Next? Frequently Asked Question (FAQs)
How can I try it out in person?
Around Burbank in California we are showing it off at FilmTools Oktoberfest
When: Thursday, October 19 at 3 PM – 8:30 PM
Where: Filmtools 1400 W Burbank Blvd, Burbank, CA 91506-1308, United States
Around the San Francisco Bay Area?
We are going to be lining up a demo day in mid to late October! Make sure you jump on the mailing list.
How much weight can it support?
What is the size of spectrum?
How much does it weigh?
spectrum ST4, Heavy Duty L-bracket, and Fz: 6.1 lbs.
Integration Kit: 3.25 lbs.
Shipping weight:18 lbs.
How fast is it?
Pan speed: Greater than 180 degrees per second
Tilt speed: Greater than 60 degrees per second
Slider speed: Normal modes up to 12 inches per second. Quiet modes (interviews) up to 6 inches per second.
1) spectrum ST4 4-axis motion controller for V-lock batteries
2) eMotimo Heavy Duty L-bracket (camera / Fz motor mounting)
3) eMotimo Fz (Focus/Zoom) Motor
4) PS4 DUALSHOCK®4 wireless controller
5) Hard case for spectrum ST4/Fz
6) Dana Dolly Integration Kit (slide motor, belt clips, belt)
7) High current 24V AC power supply
8) Shutter release cables for common Canon, Nikon and Sony DSLR
How many wires do you have to hook up?
Motion control can look pretty slick and easy when a marketer omits or removes the wires that are required for the product to work.
With the eMotimo VMount ST4 / Dana Dolly, you only have 2 connections to get 4 axis of precision motion. Fewer connections makes every setup easier and more reliable.
Take a look. It really is that simple.
Join our Dana Dolly mailing list for the latest Dana Dolly eMotimo news!
After signing up, check your email. You need to actively reply to be added to the list (spam protection).